Don’t Like Your Past? Stop Visiting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fosco/3915752142


The past is a distraction.   Your boyfriend that left you, that job you lost or that job you didn’t get is a done deal.  It’s a wrap.  So stop thinking about.  It’s taking up space for other more important stuff, like finding a new boyfriend or a new job. 


A distraction is anything that keeps you from getting to what is next.


There’s something scary about moving forward because you don’t know what’s going to happen. 
That’s why some of us use the past as an oasis from the present.  We call old boyfriends because we are afraid to get back out there.  We kick ourselves for quitting a job we hated when the new one doesn’t seem to be working out.

I am not going to get all spiritual on you…Nope, sorry, I lied.  I just have to.  That’s why we have seasons that repeat.  We need physical reminders that parallel the spiritual.  Stuff dies and you need to get the ground ready so you can plant some new stuff…

What crops are we going to grow this year, i.e. what’s going to make us the most money, give us the most happiness, the most fun, the most X?  Hence, the yearly New Year’s Resolution list. I bet if you looked at your list from January, you aren’t even close to getting any of it done. You probably quit after February 15th. 

Too much clutter. 


Go to your closet and look at your clothes.  Your past is like your closet.  You have a lot of shit in there that you haven’t worn, can’t fit, or is out of style.  But it’s still in your closet.  Get rid of it.  Call Amvets of America.  They’ll come pick it up. 

You can’t get rid of your past, but you can, sure as hell, make a new one!  Get on with it. Find a job that fits your personality.  Get social, start asking people out, introduce yourself.  I know, tsk, tsk, the economy is tough, there aren’t enough good romantic candidates, yadda, yadda, yadda.  If you hold on to those types of thoughts, you’re not preparing the ground for a new crop.  Just the same old crops.  Gotta keep up to eat well, baby.

I am going to take my own advice and give something away.  I have this beautiful coat.  I saw it and just had to have it.  Unfortunately, it’s made for a smaller physique.  Yeah, I know magical thinking.  I’ve had it for 5 years now.  I am ready to let it go, but I don’t want it to go to just any old body.  (No pun intended; it's ok to be old.)



No comments

Post a Comment